MALARIA cases are on the rise in Sabah, with 1,660 cases reported from January to November 11, this year, the Sabah state legislative assembly was told today.

Assistant Minister in the Chief Minister’s Department Edward Yong Oui Fah said it was a 173.5% increase compared to the corresponding period last year.

Yong said the highest number of cases was in Ranau (273), followed by Keningau (270), Tenom (171), Kudat (110) and Nabawan (110).

“Among the control and preventive measures for the disease are early detection and treatment; integrated vector management as well as collaboration with other agencies,” he said when replying to a question from Abd Muis Picho (BN-Sebatik).